Monday, August 10, 2015

Day 78 – 5th August – El Questro

Another day, another awesome view while I enjoy my morning coffee…


But wait, there’s more… my day got even better… I noticed a whole bunch of birds gathered around the base of the water tank.  I bolted back to camp and grabbed my binoculars.  It turns out there is a fair amount of water leaking so all the birds come for an early morning drink and bath.  I managed to spot my first Star Finches and Zebra Finches… I was so excited!

Dave started his day by putting the repaired tyre back on the car… with no helpful trade assistant this time… 


We packed up camp and set off for El Questro.  10km up the road we rounded a bend and there it was… the view we have seen in a million photos… the Pentecost River crossing.  Dave has been anticipating this crossing for a while… however, when we finally reached the river he was a bit disappointed when he saw how deep it was....  The Pentecost is tidal, and of course we reached it somewhere around low tide… so I think he was a bit disappointed that his man-skills wouldn't be tested because it was so shallow.  The water came about halfway up the tyres on the Prado. The crossing was all rather easy… it was all a bit anticlimactic.  It was so easy, we drove across, I jumped out, then Dave and the kids drove back over the river just so I could take some photos…  





We drove another 20km along the Gibb River Road to reach our last stop, El Questro.  To reach the ‘Station Township’ 16km off the main road, you have to cross the Pentecost River again.  It turns out this was deeper and way more exciting than the first Pentecost crossing! 



After crossing the river they sent out the official welcoming party… 


After setting up camp we explored the immediate vicinity around the reception area.  Guess what?? WE COULD GET GAS!!  HAPPY DAYS!! Our lack-of-gas-crisis is over… 


The camp ground is situated along the banks of a river.  Just behind the restaurant they have dammed the river to make a swimming hole… 


There is a resident artist here who has some really pretty artwork.  I picked my favourite, a series of three canvas paintings.  However, at $2800 I don’t think Dave is going to buy it for me… Here is the painting she has done at the entrance of the restaurant. 


We were running out of day before Happy Hour at the bar so we only had enough time to check out the bird hide just out of camp.  There were a grand total of ZERO birds… not even the sound of them chirping in the distance… so you can imagine the kids’ interest didn’t last long… The log book seemed to indicate early morning is the time to see the cool birds so I will check it out on my own tomorrow. 



No comments: