Monday, August 10, 2015

Day 65 – 23rd July – Mornington Wilderness Camp

I got up this morning at 6.30am to go and sit down by a creek to watch birds… does that make me a ‘twitcher’?  I really wanted to see the rare and elusive Gouldian Finch.  There was no way in this world I was going to spot anything with our two incredibly loud, ants-in-their-pants-can’t sit-still kids.  So off I went on my own.  I had spoken to the Manager here about the best spot for spotting the finches.  Armed with this knowledge, I found one of the creek crossings, parked the car then headed in search of a small pool of water.  I then proceeded to sit here for the next hour and a bit… 



There were Double-Barred Finches galore and I even spotted some Long-Tail Finches.  I spotted a finch-like bird that had a grey head, green (olive) wings and a slightly yellowed belly.  Having no idea what it was I described it to the Manager and the pair of us went hunting through numerous bird books.  It was a unanimous decision… I had spotted a juvenile Gouldian Finch!!  Okay, so it is not as cool as seeing a mature bird with all their glorious colour, but I was still pretty excited.  So much so, I am going back tomorrow morning to try again…

For the rest of the day we intentionally decided to stop and do nothing…  the most strenuous thing we did was a wander down the creek along which we are camped… 


Evening drinks at the bar on our last night at Mornington… 



No comments: